• New Year, new blog, new adventures!

    "None of this 'new year new me bollocks', last year I was fabulous & next year I'll be fabulous"

    I've been asked on numerous occasions to write a blog about my adventure travelling so the new year is a good time to start!Β  2018 brought lots of adventures and milestones, we visited Yosemite, Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Death Valley, Whistler, Las Vegas, Malibu, Santa Barbara, Nappa Valley, Powell River, England, Scotland, Seattle, Kingston (Ontario), Palm Springs, Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff & the Grand Canyon. My oldest son graduated from Leeds University with a Masters in Civil Engineering & I turned fifty!!! Here's some of the highlights..

    As many of you are aware, I rented out my bricks & mortar athletic clothing store in Victoria BC after seven years, to concentrate on my online store, in November 2017.
    The same year, I became an empty nester after my youngest of two sons left home to study in Kingston Ontario. It was a very transformative time for me as I had been a very hands on Mum and struggled with the fact that that period of my life had closed.
    With our new found freedom, my husband & I invested in a Big Foot truck camper!Β We have always enjoyed the outdoors and camping and this was the perfect vehicle to allow us to travel further afield in much more comfort as well as bumming around our own back garden, beautiful British Columbia
    We have enjoyed five trips to the Sierra Nevada area since the the summer of 2017 including Utah, Arizona California & Nevada, there's too many adventures to mention here so I'll share some of the highlights of our trips.
    In November last year we hiked down into the Grand Canyon, camped overnight under the stars then hiked back out. We booked the campsite the day before we left so were lucky to get a spot at such short notice. We found out later this was due to the pack mules having a respiratory infection so lots of people had cancelled. We usually carry our food when tent camping but were delighted to find out that dinner & breakfast could be pre ordered & then served in the ranch at the bottom of the canyon, along with a jug of red wine! Tipsy in a tent at the bottom of the Grand Canyon, brilliant!Β  We were there early November 2018, it was cooler on the rim but a lovely 20 degrees in the bottom of the Canyon.

    Another highlight in April was hiking from June Lake near Mammoth Lakes to camp 9200 feet above sea level!,_California We invested in a new tent, sleeping bags & mattresses as the ones we had were wedding presents so 25 years old! We packed them in our backpacks with some food & set off on our adventure. There was a lot of snow but we had snow shoes & spikes so were prepared! Or so I thought!

    The snow had banked in parts of the path so we had to kick steps in the snow & traverse across in places, facing the mountain. I found this somewhat challenging as a slip or fall would have resulted in a few broken bones!!! 😩 Onwards & upwards! At dusk we found an appropriate spot to pitch the tent & cook dinner. The view was breathtaking! It was a long night....although we had invested in high quality mattresses & sleeping bags I was very cold most of the night & didn't really sleep much, I was also aware that we were the only people up there so was conscious of any 'animal noises'. I had some ear plugs in (so I can't hear my husband snoring! 😜) and they helped distract from any outside sounds. I remember i messaging my son in the middle of the night (yes there was wifi up there!!) to say how cold I was & him telling me to stop being a wimp! The morning came & because I had been anxious in the night, needed to 'go to the bathroom' really bad! As I had waded through a shallow river on the way up, my hiking boots were frozen solid so I couldn't get them on! I was shouting at my husband in desperation so off he scuttled to 'dig the hole' in advance! I eventually got my boots half on & just made it to the pre dug 'toilet' much to mine & my husband's relief!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

    We went snow shoeing to the summit of Mammoth Mountain at 11,000 feet (3362m) last spring. We set of from an altitude of 8,530 feet (2600m) and took around 3.5 hours to reach the summit. The path was fairly steep and meandering most of the way up until we were  almost at the summit where we joined a black diamond ski run!!! Initially we started to traverse across the slope, watching out for skiers coming from above. As the slope steepened I became more aware that a slip or tumble at this point would result in a long fall to the bottom and a couple of broken bones....or worse! 😩 At this point I shouted to my husband, "stuff this" I'm going straight up the slope & set off. After around 15 minutes of steep incline dodging skiers, we arrived at the top much to the disbelief of the snow boarders there who preceded to clap & cheer in disbelief at what we had just accomplished !! A short walk on the summit and we arrived at the ski lodge where we celebrated with a beer then enjoyed the ride down on the ski lift!

    Watch this space for more adventure stories, cheers! 😘

    View Post

  • Stand Up Paddle Expedition to Octopus Island Marine Park, Quadra Island



     I fell in love with SUP late in the Fall last year and rekindled the romance once the summer arrived this year! After extensive research I invested in a board specially designed for women - a Paiwen board

    I have just returned from a mini expedition to Quadra Island with my family, here's what we got up to!


    The adventure began at Granite Bay where we filled the canoe with food and camping gear, ditched the car and set sail! The water was relatively calm and the scenery was spectacular. After paddling for approximately an hour we reached the entrance to Small Inlet which was free of wind and the water was flat calm and gin clear, kelp, starfish, crab, urchins, and shoals of small fish were visible.

    At the head of Small Inlet, we reached the beach which meant it was time to portage! After locating the entrance to the path we unloaded the canoe of food and camping gear and carried everything to the path entrance. We left the canoe there and the four of us, loaded with back packs, paddles, paddle board and food buckets, proceeded into the woods. The path through the forest was 1km long, thick with trees, some of which were crossing the path and had to be climbed over or crawled under. It was quite the workout so I was pleased when we broke out of the trees to the awesome sight of the ocean - Octopus Islands Marine Park.

    Lewis stayed with the gear, while Andrew, Alasdair & myself set off back through the trees to pick up the canoe. Lifting it over and in between the fallen trees was challenging but we succeeded! 

    After a rest and light refreshments, we re-loaded the canoe & set sail to explore the Octopus Islands, find a place to camp for the night, and locate a fresh water source for drinking. The scenery was stunning, clear ocean dotted with approximately 30 sailing boats moored in various secluded locations offering faint sounds of chatting, aromas of cooking with a hint of Frank Sinatra.....

    The boys found water while I paddled around the nearby islets searching for a place to set up camp. I was delighted to find a tiny island with a space on top of a small hill for our two tents. It was tailor made just for us!  I explored the island and noticed it must be a feeding station for some type of bird or animal, the piles of poo and cracked shells were a clue! 

    The tents were erected and a gourmet dinner of boil in the bag curry was wolfed down after our energetic day!

    It was such a beautiful evening, we decided to embark on a sunset paddle, we meandered through the tiny islets where the water was shallow and clear, revealing the abundance of marine life below the surface. The people on the moored sailing boats and yachts gave us a wave and said hello. 


    An early start was required to allow us the time to paddle all the way down the coast to Heriot Bay so we got up at 5 am, ate a quick granola bar, packed up the tents and gear and started down the coast. The sun was not yet up and the ocean was flat calm, a feeling of eerie stillness was in the air, no one chatted, we were lost in our serene surroundings..........

    After two hours of paddling the tranquility was shattered by Lewis shouting loud with expletives and demanding that we paddle to the shore immediately! I turned back and could see a look of terror in his eyes! He had glanced back and saw the rounded back of a humpback or grey whale only 10 meters behind, it must have dived and swam right underneath us! I must admit, a feeling of vulnerability came over me, even though I'm sure it knew we were there. It's 'footprint' was clearly visible in the water behind us......

    In the distance I could hear loud rumbling and roaring, we had reached Surge Narrows where the tide rips in and out of Octopus Islands Marine Reserve at up to 12 knots! The ocean resembled a raging river - nothing like the calmness we had become accustomed to. 

    We had anticipated arriving here at roughly flat water but had made such good time on the earlier part of the journey that the tide was still ripping through the inlet. We docked on the rocks and scrambled along to take a look at the 50 meters of 'surge' that we needed to paddle through in order to proceed. I took one look and suggested waiting at the side until the water had subsided to calmness again but was outvoted by the thrill seeking men in my life! Lewis was 'deposited' on the shore to take pictures of the event!.....Before I had time to persuade them otherwise, Andrew and Alasdair set off at full speed into the running water as I watched in horror from the shore! Their faces full of excitement and joy!

    They paddled furiously in a straight line as I watched from the shore. Thankfully they made it through in one piece, all our equipment still intact and dry!


    That left me! I carried the SUP over the rocks to where Lewis had taken the pictures and put the board in after the rapids, but surrounded by swirling eddys and whirlpools in deep water. I was not feeling too confident in my newly discovered paddle boarding skills at that point!!! 

    I had hoped to slowly stick to the shore and work my way along out of the whirlpools but I was drawn into the centre by the current. On my knees I started paddling like a mad woman, the side of the board started going under and Lewis was screaming at me to move away from the shore and into the faster flowing water. I didn't ask questions, just did exactly what I was told. Once the board was facing the direction of the flow, I paddled fiercely out of the 'danger zone'  and into the welcoming calm waters, sweat dripping from my brow!  I decided I wasn't doing that again!

    We regrouped with a giggle and continued with our journey, quietly and steadily, noticing a pod of Porpoises along the way. In the distance was the welcoming sight of the Discovery Islands Lodge, a beautiful hideaway retreat for water enthusiasts We tied along side the dock while Andrew went inside to see if they were serving breakfast! To our delight they were! After a chat with the hosts and our bellies full, we continued on.

    The wind had picked up and the tide had turned so the next section of the journey was somewhat challenging, I was thankful at this point for my 6 years of practising yoga as the upper body/core work was relentless. Being the only female in the family, I have no choice but to keep up or I get left behind! My men do not wait for me! It was hard work for the next three hours. As we neared Heriot Bay, I spotted the Cortes ferry & was relieved that we were almost at our final destination, but from where I was, it looked extremely small! It seemed to take forever for the ferry to 'grow' indicating that I was getting closer to shore and to the beer that I had been thinking about for hours! After a battle with wind and tide to turn into Heriot Bay, we made it! Safe and sound at last. Now for the beer ;)

    As you can see from the pic below, I wore the same outfit for three days, I slept in it too! My Teeki capris were quick drying and comfy, the Karma Bra layered with the loose Hardtail top were the perfect combination, offering protection from the sun and breathability. They looked fab too! ;)



    Here's a map of our journey :)





    View Post


Latest Articles